Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD)
- Is caused by hardening of the arteries
- Starves the legs and feet of oxygen
- Can cause foot sores that won’t heal
- Can lead to amputations, even death
Keep your legs and feet healthy:
- Tell your doctor if you have leg pain
- Don’t smoke; if you do smoke, quit!
- Walk 30 minutes/day, 3 to 5 times a week
Many patients have NO symptoms, but PAD affects 8 to 12 million Americans over 50.
What should I look for?
- Leg or foot wounds that are slow to heal
- Unexplained leg pain or cramping, especially during exercise or walking
- Skin problems or discoloration on your legs and feet, poor nail growth
People with these risks are more likely to have PAD
- History of smoking
- Advanced age
- High blood pressure
- Excess weight
- A family history of PAD